Welcome to the Town of Harrietstown
“Harrietstown was erected from Duane, March 19, 1841 and consists of townships Nos. 21,24, 27, of Great tract No. 1, of Macomb’s purchase. The Town of Harrietstown began to be settled before the year 1812, by inhabitants of the adjoining counties, who located upon the northwest bay road. The latter received its name from a daughter of William Constable [Harriet], the wife of James Duane, Esq., of Duane.”
[Source: A History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties, New York by Franklin B. Hough, A.M., M.D., copyright 1853]
The Town’s population in 1900 was 1,501. The 2020 census lists the population as 5,254.